Instructions for Covid-19 PCR Test Self-Sample Taking
Preparations for the Covid-19-PCR Test
- The swab should be taken in the morning, on an empty stomach, or about 4-6 hours after the last meal.
- Do not smoke, brush your teeth, use mouthwash, throat lozenges or chewing gum for 4-6 hours before collecting the sample.
- The swab should be taken at least 2 hours after taking nasal antimicrobials (drops, ointments, sprays).
- Do not rinse or blow your nose before the sample collection.
- Removable dentures should be removed before sample collection.
Covid-19 PCR Self-sampling Instructions
Combined throat and nose swab collection
Differences between throat and NP swabs:
Throat swabs usually have a straight shaft of uniform thickness with a thicker head than an NP swab.
Nasal swabs are thick at the base (where you hold the swab) with a narrower flexible portion attached to the swab head. The head of the swab is thinner than a throat swab.
Instructions to follow:
Sample taking can be done in 20-30 minutes
The laboratory Request Form is filled with your full name, date of birth, gender and date of the sample.
- Please write the time of sample taken to the form, both: hour:minutes such as: 09:52 am. You do not need to complete any other part of the form.
- Wash your hands with soap and warm water.
- Remove the top of the test container (tube with pink fluid). Place open tube into a holder such as a glass, so the test liquid does not spill.
- Open the throat swab container and swab the back of the throat. Use a mirror to guide you. Make sure the end of the swab does not touch any other surface and that the swab is firmly rotated five times. It is common that you may gag a little but this is a normal reflex.
- Place tip of swab into the test container. (Tube with pink fluid).
- Then, take out the nasal swab – plastic swab with a narrow flexible portion, if available -, insert it into one of the nostrils. Ensure that you place the swab HORIZONTALLY (not upwards) and approximately 1 inch (2.5 cm ) into the nostril
- Rotate the swab five times while in the nasal cavity. Then repeat this step on the opposite side / opposite nostril.
- Put swab into the test container (Tube with pink fluid) snapping / cutting them shorter. Place the cap back on the testing tube firmly and immediately label the swab with your full name and the date of the sample
- The details on the swab MUST MATCH the details on the request form, otherwise the sample will NOT BE PROCESSED
- You may sometimes see blood at the end of the swab which is nothing to worry about.
- Next place the firmly closed testing – pink – container in the plastic bag along with the request form.
- Place the completed laboratory Request Form with the pink test container into a clear bag then hang it on your door knob. Notify driver so then the driver can deliver the test sample to the lab immediately.
- Finally wash your hands thoroughly again.